Step by step instructions and complete listings of the prayers associated with the rosary.
The rosary is a
that provides us the
prayerfully reflect on the
life of Christ through each
of the Mysteries.
Find out more!
What Our Lady has promised to those who pray the rosary, and the blessings and benefits of doing so.
Where did the rosary originate and why is it that we pray the Rosary the way we do? Have we always prayed the Rosary the way we do today? You might be surprised!
Personalized Rosaries was an answer to a prayer.
Visit our favorite Catholic sites on the web.
1. While holding the crucifix make the Sign of the Cross and then recite the Apostles Creed.
How to pray the Rosary
2. Recite the Our Father on the first large bead.
3. On each of the three small beads recite a Hail Mary for an increase of faith, hope and charity.
4. Recite the Glory Be to the Father on the next large bead.
5. Recall the first Rosary Mystery and recite the Our Father on the next large bead. --- As a general rule, depending on the season, the Joyful Mysteries are said on Monday and Saturday; the Sorrowroful Mysteries on Tuesday and Friday; The Glorious on Wednesday and Sunday, and the Luminous Mysteries on Thursday.
6. On each of the adjacent ten small beads (also referred to as a decade) recite a Hail Mary while reflecting on the Mystery.
7. On the next large bead, recite the Glory Be to the Father. The Fatima decade prayer may also be said.
8. Each succeeding decade is prayed in a similar manner by recalling the appropriate mystery, reciting the Our Father, ten Hail Marys, the Glory Be to the Father, and the Fatima decade prayer (optional) while reflecting on the Mystery.
9. When the fifth mystery is completed, the Rosary is Customarily concluded with the Hail, Holy Queen.
SIGN OF THE CROSS
Prayers of the Rosary
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day He arose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. Amen.
Our father, who art in heaven; hallowed by Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. Amen.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
GLORY BE TO THE FATHER
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. HAIL, HOLY QUEEN
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy! our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!
V. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray. O GOD, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.
O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who have most need of your mercy.